Thursday, July 21, 2011

Gooey Sunshine Rolls

Here is the recipe for the Orange Rolls I made at the beginning of the week.  I hope you enjoy. 
This recipe is Paula Deen's. 

Gooey Sunshine Rolls
Makes about 8 rolls

4 oranges
1/2 cup golden raisins
1 loaf frozen bread dough, thawed
1/4 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup pecans, chopped
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup confectioners' sugar

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2) Remove zest from oranges; set zest aside.  In a small bowl, squeeze juice from oranges.  Soak raisins in orange juice.
3) Roll dough into a 14x12-inch rectangle.  Spread softened butter over dough.  Sprinkle brown sugar, pecans, cinnamon, and half of zest over dough.  Remove raisins from juice using a slotted spoon, reserving juice.  Sprinkle raisins over dough. 
4) Starting at a long end, roll up dough tightly, jelly-roll style.  Moisten edge with water, and seal.  Cut roll into 8 or 9 slices.  Place slices on prepared baking sheet, allowing sides to touch.  Bake rolls for 25 minutes or until a golden honey color. 
5) In another small bowl, place confectioners' sugar; slowly whisk in just enough reserved orange juice, 1 tablespoon at a time, to make a slightly thick icing.  Stir in 1 tablespoon of remaining zest.  Drizzle icing over warm rolls.


I made some minor changes due to my husband not liking certain items.  I did not use pecans and raisins.  I also only used half of the cinnamon.  I also used a wheat bread loaf.  The reason being is they were cheaper at the store because they came in a pack of three instead of six.  I also had most of the juice left over.  You only need a little bit to make the icing.
I hope you enjoy!

No comments: