Monday, November 30, 2009

Cranberry Sauce




Thanksgiving Idaho style! And yes the potatoes and gravy were great, but stuffing will always hold my heart. This thanksgiving was different. Now I know what you are thinking, "Emily says this about every holiday these days" and yes I do but it is true.  I sat at my desk the day before the holiday and reminisced with my new best friend Ruby.  Ruby and I share an office at my new job!  Anyway Ruby lost her husband to cancer in February this year and as I listed to her talk about her wonderful husband tears filled her eyes.  I came across another young women that day who was bothered by the fact that she would not get to sleep in and had to make it to two family dinners on the following day.  I don't know how to explain this but as I listed to Ruby I felt like a new person,  a better person for knowing her.  But as I listened to the other I did not jump on the band wagon and talk about all the things that I could think of that could make the holiday not enjoyable.  Instead it brought great gratitude to my heart.  Life is all in the way you look at it.  Some have not figured this lesson out in life and others seem to grow stronger from others lack of lessons.  I am one who continues to grow from the people around me.  I believe that the people the Lord allows us to be in contact with our our biggest blessings in life.  I always am grateful to be with family but this year it was different, I missed the normal traditions of Thanksgiving but I know that getting married comes with new traditions.  Being at Tom & Jenn's was great, the company was great, the food, the shopping at the most amazing Down East store,  and to my surprise the the tranquility of everything.  Feeling perfectly content with myself, letting little things go, just being there and in the moment.  Sorry if this makes no sense to anyone else but for some reason to me I am surprised by how the conversations the day prior allowed for Thanksgiving to flow by while I was lost in the state of simple gratitude.

1 comment:

Nichol Family said...

I get what you are saying, what a sad story about your friend. We miss you! Hope you are happy :)